- About Us
- City Government
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply for...
- Sign Up For...
Streamlined Permitting for Existing Residential Structures
Small residential rooftop solar energy systems on existing buildings may be eligible for streamlined approval and inspection if they meet all the following requirements:
- Rooftop systems on one or two-family dwellings;
- No larger than 10 kilowatt (KW) alternating current nameplate rating or 30 KW thermal;
- Conforms to all State codes as may be amended by the City; and
- Does not exceed maximum building height of the zoning district.
Streamlined Permit Application Process
Applications for streamlined solar permit processing may be submitted online or at the Building and Planning counter at City Hall. Download the Application Checklist to make sure you include all the required documentation with your permit application.
Applications will be reviewed within 3 business days. If an application is incomplete, a correction notice will be issued. If an application is ineligible for streamlining, project review will move forward under standard (non-streamlined) Department procedure. If the application is complete and meets the eligibility criteria, a building permit will be issued.
On-Site Inspection Required
After a permit has been issued and the system is installed, an on-site inspection is required to ensure compliance with all health and safety codes. Inspection requests may be made by phone at (415) 508-2120 or by emailing the Building Department. Inspections will be scheduled within 5 business days of the inspection request. Once you have scheduled your inspection, use the inspection checklists below to prepare for your inspection. If you do not pass the first inspection, a correction notice will be issued and the standard (non-streamlined) inspection process will move forward.
Streamlining Application Documents and Resources
- City of Brisbane Solar Permit Streamlining Policy
- Eligibility Checklist
- Solar PV Standard Plan- Microinverter and ACM Systems for One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- Solar PV Standard Plan- Central/String Inverter Systems for One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- Structural Criteria for Residential Flush-mounted Solar Arrays
- Inspection Checklists (Field Guide and Comprehensive)
- Guidelines for Measuring Building Height handout